Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Neopolitan cupcakes



The other day at the grocery store, I noticed a bag of Bugles in the snack aisle.  I remembered them being the snack of choice in the 70's, but really hadn't noticed them in years.  Immediately, they reminded me of little ice cream cones and I knew that an ice cream cupcake project was in the works.  Neopolitan was the ice cream I decided to use because of its color.  I have to admit I don't really care for it (I'm the one who only eats the vanilla, carefully carving it out of the container).  Nevertheless, the pink, white, and brown combo would be really cute so that is the direction I headed.  Here is a look at what I used.





I almost aways use boxed cake mix with a package of instant pudding thrown in when making a cake.  It makes an ordinary cake mix rich, moist, and dense.  Some of my favorite flavors to use are cheesecake, white chocolate, and french vanilla because they can be used with any flavor of cake mix.  I also like flavor to be very intense, so this is what I did to bump up flavor and color. 

After mixing up the cake according to package directions, I divided it into three bowls.  For the chocolate I added 1/3 box of chocolate pudding, 1 tbsp. baking cocoa, and one drop brown food coloring.  For the vanilla I used 1/3 box vanilla pudding and 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract.  For the strawberry I added 1/3 box strawberry pudding, strawberry flavoring, and a couple of drops of pink food coloring.




I layered the batter one on the top of the other and baked them (you may want to add a few minutes to the baking time for when the batter has been doctored up to this degree). 

While the cupcakes cooled, I colored fondant with pink and brown food coloring and left some white for the vanilla.  Now all I had to do was form little balls and press into the top of the bugels. 






I frosted the cupcakes, add the little ice cream cones and a sprinkle of pink dragess, and it was done.



Aren't they adorable?




When you take your first bite, the neopolitan layers of the cake show up.  I have to say, the flavor of this cupcake is amazing - I didn't even have to carve out the vanilla layer to eat alone!




I love this project because it is delicious, inexpensive, anyone can do it, and its just plain fun.




Today I am linking up with
Sunday Scoop
Pink Saturday
Heck Fridays
Wow Us Wednesdays
Show and Tell Wednesday
Sugar Bee Crafts
A Stroll Through Life
Get your craft on Tuesday

12 comments:

  1. have I told you lately you are fabulous. I am so excited to see your posts come up in my blogroll ~ these are so so so cute! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I used to eat only the chocolate part of Neapolitan ice cream. Now I know better. :) xo,

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fabulous and I love your presentation. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Can't wait to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great idea! I love it! I would love it if you could stop by Heck Fridays today(Thursday) and post it on our first link party!

    http://www.heckfridays.blogspot.com

    Hope to see you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. totally adorable!!! love them:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are the most darling cupcakes I have ever seen. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this great idea and recipe with us. I am definitely trying this idea out for a birthday party. Happy PS! Blessings,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute, and how very clever!! Happy Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute!! I have a Bugle treat coming up this week too! Love those things :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are So cute! I think I am gonna have to make them for 4th of July! Thanks for the idea and for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete