Sunday, October 30, 2011

Vanilla butter pound cake






What a weekend!  Watching my son's football team become division champions after a double overtime game was so exciting.  I went to bed being in October, and woke up in January - snow and lots of it.   After jumping up and down and screaming on a very cold and wet night (VERRRRY long half time plus the double over time makes for a long night), I was flat on my back all day Saturday feeling rotten.  I know the weather isn't supposed to make you sick, but it can take a cold and make into something more unpleasant.  The upside is the snow is melting, the Blue Devils are awesome, I am feeling better, and I didn't feel too guilty spending Saturday on looking at all of the Witch's Tea Parties.  Thanks Anna!  

And now, as promised, the recipe for one incredibly good pound cake.  This was sent to me by my mom a couple of years ago, and it is a winner.  A couple of hints for making a pound cake:  make sure your ingredients are room temperature and don't skip the alternating of ingredients (begin and end with the flour mixture).  If you don't follow these rules, the pound cake police will come to your house and confiscate your bundt pan.  

Vanilla Butter Pound Cake

6 large eggs (I always use brown eggs because I think they add a richer flavor)
1/2 cup butter
1 cup butter flavor shortening
3 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla butter emulsion (if you can't find it you can add extra vanilla or any other extract of  your choosing).
3 cups flour
1 cup milk

Spray or grease and flour a ten inch bundt cake pan.  Separate eggs.  Beat whites till stiff peaks form and then set aside.  Beat yolks with butter and shortening on high speed till fluffy.  Gradually add sugar and beat again.  Add in extracts and beat on low speed till blended.  Alternately add flour and sugar beginning and ending with flour.  With a spatula, gently fold egg whites into batter.  Pour into prepared pan and bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours.  For my baby bundt cakes, I baked them for 45 minutes.  Cool in pan on rack for 15 minutes, then turn out of pan and continue to cool.   

You can drizzle a light glaze on top, or dust with powdered sugar, or do nothing at all.  The taste and texture stand alone quite well.  This also freezes beautifully, making it a great for the holidays or a weekend brunch for company.  I hope you try this and enjoy it as much as we do.  

And avoid getting a citation from the pound cake police.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bundt cakes are so pretty. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to your son's team and I hope you feel better soon! The snow's all gone here now-thankfully. Happy Halloween:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are adorable. They sound delish too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to your Blue Devils. Hope you are felling better!
    Thanks for this recipe! I think having a great pound cake recipe is a must have in any recipe box. Mine is only so-so. Can you guess what I am replacing it with? Pound cakes make fabulous gifts! Thank you so much for bringing this sweet treat to ON THE MENU MONDAY!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lisa,
    Enchanted oven says it all!! What a yummy blog!! Your petite bundt cakes are gorgeous, and I love all the boo-t-full cookies below, the teacups are darling!!
    I am your newest follower and am looking forward to seeing whats cookin'
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so pretty. I'd love for you to share them at my #7 Link Party going on at Project Queen. www.projectqueen.org
    I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha... your pound cake police comment make me chuckle. I love a good pound cake - will be pinning your recipe. Thanks!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete