Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Blue moon baking day




I happen to have a case and a half of Blue Moon ale sitting in my garage fridge.  Living in good old Pennsylvania, we have to purchase beer by the case at the beer distributor.  Mr. Enchanted likes a Blue once in a great while, and it takes FOREVER to get through a case.  When I opened my fridge (which is usually a nasty surprise of food that I have forgotten about putting in there), and saw it sitting there, I thought about a recipe for Blue Moon cupcakes that I found on Pinterest.  





For the recipe, check out The Bitchin Kitchen blog.  

Now, I am not a beer/ale fan as the result of an unfortunate experience in college that involved a little toddy called  "strip and go naked".  The drink was made in a clean (I think) garbage can and was composed the cheapest beer that could be purchased, vodka, and lemonade.  In the spirit of conviviality, I drank my fair share, and  not surprisingly, ended up in the 3rd floor girl's bathroom in Stanley Hall at the University of Iowa 
TURNING INSIDE OUT.
Several times.  

Moving right along...,  

The minor adjustments I made to the recipe was to add orange emulsion instead of peel (because I didn't have any oranges), and I made a glaze instead of frosting.  The glaze was a simple mix of powdered sugar, a little more orange emulsion, a dribble of vanilla, a pinch of salt, about a tablespoon of Blue Moon, and enough milk to make it a runny glaze.  I popped a few blueberries on top for style.

Lord have mercy on my soul - THESE ARE DELICIOUS!
Tastes a bit like beer bread, but with a lot more swag.




I'm not sure what got into me, but I then made a crockpot chicken that used with one can of beer, garlic, onion powder, and Italian seasoning.  The chicken fell off the bone, and was declared delicious by one and all.  

Time for me to stagger  meander off to bed!  

Stop by my new blog The Enchanted Acorn Studio!

5 comments:

  1. I love a blue moon, missed the last one due to cloud cover. The chicken and the cupcakes sound delicious. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhhh, just to sit in your kitchen for 5 minutes would be heaven!!!

    Off to see your new Blog!

    LuLu~*xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound ridiculously amazing! I found this recipe at the Crafty Soiree link party this week, and added this to my Weekend Find blog post today (http://twotendesigns.blogspot.com/2012/06/weekend-finds-link-party-finds.html)

    I cannot wait to try these - blue moon is my favorite!
    Thanks for sharing!!
    Kim @ Two Ten Designs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious! I might just have to try this. Thank for sharing this at Make it Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House. Hope you see you next week. Wishing you a grand evening. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! Doesn't it make your tummy churn when you think of these escapades and being soooooo sick? Awful results from so much fun!

    I had my first Blue Moon a couple years ago. Very tasty but doesn't agree with my allergies. :/

    Thanks for sharing more of your talent!
    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete