I know, more cookies out of season. What will I be doing next - Easter?
My darling Isabelle is taking Spanish 1, and her class was having a day of the dead party on Friday with extra credit given for bringing in treats. Cookies to the rescue!
Decorated skulls were a must for this project, but I had a little problem. My skull cutter is really tiny AND it has cut outs for the eyes, nose, and mouth, making it quite difficult to do the embellishments. I took a quick spin through the local stores that carry cookie cutters, and the Halloween skulls were all gone.
Either make my own template OR use cutters I already have, and merge them into a hybrid of sorts. I rooted through my cutter collection (which is obscenely large), and decided that my gingerbread boy and girl heads would be just dandy.
Cutting out a boy head and a girl head,
and pressing them together on a cookie sheet,
makes a skull shape!
When baked, the shapes melt together perfectly and are quite sturdy. Isabelle did the cutting and baking,
and I did the decorating. Making your own "hybrid" cutter shapes is a great way to make do with what you already have on hand. Take a look at shapes you most likely have in your collection - (hearts, stars, circles, etc.) and think about how you can merge them together. It certainly beats cutting shapes by hand, which is a very tedious job.
The Enchanted Oven is back on track this week with Thanksgiving cookies and a really fun new project!