Monday, February 11, 2013

Valentine cookie on a stick tutorial




Think pop tart on steroids.

I made these little dolls for three of my sweethearts, and the process is quite easy.  First, cut out your hearts - two for each pop.




Put the first heart on your baking sheet, and then cut a small heart opening in the center of the second heart.





Place about 1 1/2 tsp. of jam in the center of the first heart.  I always use strawberry jam, but you could use whatever kind you prefer.





Yes, my cookie sheets are looking battle worn.  One of these days I will try the baking soda/peroxide concoction from Pintrest to clean them up.  
Now place a lolly pop stick on top.  Put it up far enough to be secure, but not far enough to show.  If you do have a little showing through the opening, just put a little jam on top to conceal it.





Place the heart with the small cut out on top.


See the tip of the stick showing?  A dab of jam hid it.


Use the tines of a fork to seal the edges securely.





I used my normal sugar cookie dough, but baked a few additional minutes to make sure the top cookie got completely done.  I baked mine about 9 minutes at 350 degrees.  I started checking them at 7 minutes, and kept a really close eye on them.  Once they are out of the oven, keep them on the cookie sheet to cool for about 10 minutes.  This ensures a safe transfer to the cooling rack.

The decorating can be as easy or involved as you want.  If you don't want to embellish with royal icing, you can sprinkle the tops with regular or sanding sugar before they go in the oven.  I have done this before, and they look great.  To do a simple royal icing treatment, you could make little hearts or write the recipient's name.  I chose to make flowers reminiscent of Victorian valentines.





Tying a bright green ribbon on the stick, gives it an extra dose of color and interest.



Sharing with

Your Whims Wednesday
On the menu Monday
Now all you have to do is give it to someone you love!

Have fun!

2 comments:

  1. These are the coolest cookies on a stick!! You have a wonderful blog!! I'm your newest GFC follower from the “Stone Gable” blog hop - this is my blog if you wanted to follow back: godsgrowinggarden.com
    Thanks
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy yummy in my tummy!

    ReplyDelete